Most of the books I’ve been reading since beginning to blog about what I’m reading have either been lackluster or “chick lit”. Because I like to read a variety of different styles and I don’t feel like the books I’ve been reading truly reflect my tastes, I thought I’d list some of my favorite books and welcome others to leave their own lists in the comments.
Here are some books I recommend:
- A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (author of The Kite Runner which is also very good)
- Still Alice by Lisa Genova
- The Book of Negros by Lawrence Hill
- Room by Emma Donoghue
- The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls
- Prisoner of Tehran: A Memoir by Marina Nemat
- The Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda
- Memoirs of a Geisha: A Novel by Arthur Golden (haven’t read it since high school, but I loved it then)
- Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali
- A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah
- Freakenomics by Steven D. Levitt
- Gang Leader for a Day: A Rogue Sociologist Takes to the Streets by Sudhir Venkatesh
I am probably forgetting some as I recently donated most of my books because I rarely re-read books and I needed to make room on our far too overcrowded bookshelf. Apart from Memoirs of a Geisha, these are more of my recent (in the last few years) faves. I read the last two after J did and might not have been exposed to them if he hadn’t bought them. Some are really riveting stories and I think all of them are thought-provoking.